Some links are sponsored. We only list verified genuine companies we like.
By Michael Wong | January 3, 2022.
- Earn $100 to $1,000+ per original article, freelance writing for the Virginia Quarterly Review (VQR), a haven and home for the best essayists, fiction writers, and poets, seeking contributors from every section of the United States and abroad.
- No topic is alien. VQR has covered literary, public affairs, the arts, history, and the economy.
- Pay rates:
- Poetry: $200
- Short Fiction: $1,000+ (2,000 to 8,000 words)
- Nonfiction: (3,500 to 9,000 words)
- Personal essays and literary criticism: $1,000+ (~25¢ per word, depending on length)
- Investigative reporting: Higher rate, sometimes including pre-approved travel expenses.
- Book reviews: $500 (2,000 to 2,400 words)
- Online content: $100 to $200
- No genre fiction (such as romance, science fiction, or fantasy)
- Rights bought:
- First North American print and digital magazine rights.
- Nonexclusive online rights.
- Copyright is retained by the author at all times.
- Authors are free to resell the work, though VQR ask for a 90 day exclusive from their first publication of the work.
- Earnings per word: 25¢