Some links are sponsored. We only list verified genuine companies we like.
By Michael Wong | January 10, 2021.
- Earn $200 to $300 per original article, freelance writing for Hidden Compass, an online, quarterly travel magazine that encourages the deep exploration of a destination through storytelling.
- Pat rates:
- Feature stories, feature artwork and feature photo essays: $300
- Stories, art and photo essays in other departments: $200
- Photos to accompany a story they already have: $50 to $75 per photo
- Hidden Compare are looking for original, compelling, and true stories — told in words, photos, and artwork — that pushes the travel genre and delves into the spirit, culture, history, ecology, perils, or characters of a place.
- Quest: Tales of a character in search of something, even when he or she is unaware of that search. (800 to 1,500 words)
- Portrait: Profiles of compelling characters and the places they inhabit. (800 to 1,500 words)
- Human and Nature: Stories that investigate how the relationship between humankind and the planet manifests itself in a particular place. (800-1,500 words)
- Chasing Demons: Stories that delve into the dark and difficult aspects of a place, even when the darkness exists only in the narrator. (800-1,500 words)
- Time Travel: Stories that play with time to explore the past, present, and future of a place. (800-1,500 words)
- Feature Story: Longer form storytelling, including in any of the above departments, that requires 2,000 to 3,000 words.
- Feature Photo-Essay: Stories told through the arc of photographs and accompanying text. (500 to 1,000 words)
- Rights bought: First rights to all stories, artwork and photos.
- Earnings per word: 13¢ to 37.5¢