Some links are sponsored. We only list verified genuine companies we like.
By Michael Wong | January 10, 2021.
- Earn $100 to $1,250 per original article,, freelance writing for Gray's Sporting Journal, the magazine that aspires to a higher standard of upland-bird-hunting, fly-fishing, and big-game coverage.
- Reader profile:
- 90% are bird hunters
- 85% are fly fishers
- 67% are big game hunters
- Gray's Sporting Journal also want articles on:
- small game
- unusual quarry (feral hogs, etc.)
- sporting adventures in exciting locales, foreign and domestic
- Pay rates:
- Poems: $100 (Up to 1,000 words)
- Features and Yarns: $600 to $1,250 (1,500+ words)
- Yarns: Campfire tales, fact or fiction - $600 (750 to 1,500 words)
- Expeditions: Travel pieces as exotic as Mongolia or as down home as Missouri (2,500 to 3,000 words + short sidebar detailing the specifics of getting there). Requires quality photographic support - $850 to $1,000 plus $75 per photograph.
- Photographs: $50 to $300
- Photographic essays: Inside front cover - $250
- Earnings paid upon publication.
- No kill fees.
- Rights bought: North American serial rights.
- Earnings per word: 10¢ to 80¢