Some links are sponsored. We only list verified genuine companies we like.
By Michael Wong | January 10, 2019.
- Earn $50 to $1,000 per original article, freelance writing for Earth Island Journal, a quarterly magazine combining investigative journalism and thought provoking essays that make the subtle but profound connections between the environment and other contemporary issues.
- Pay rates:
- 25¢ per word for print stories.
- $50 to $100 per online report (5 days a week)
- $750 to $1,000 per in-depth feature story (4,000 words)
- Earth Island Journal want:
- Compelling and distinctive stories that anticipate environmental concerns before they become pressing problems.
- Stories that scan the horizon for the next big issue.
- Stories that will surprise, provoke, and entertain its readers.
- Stories that explore new territory overlooked by other publications.
- Stories of individuals and communities who are successfully defending and restoring the Earth.
- On-the-ground reports from outside North America.
- Earth Island Journal cover the entire spectrum of environmental issues, including:
- wildlife and lands conservation
- innovations in science and technology
- public policy and the politics of environmental protection
- climate and energy
- animal rights
- public health
- environmental justice
- cultural survival
- environmentally related film, music and books
- No technical or academic reports.
- Employees: 51+ (est. 1982) (http://c1ick.us/earthislandinstitute-lkd)
- Earnings per word: Up to 25¢