Some links are sponsored. We only list verified genuine companies we like.
By Michael Wong | December 17, 2018.
Earn Money With Verified Genuine Driving Jobs
Chances are you've probably already used a ridesharing service, such as Lyft or Uber, to get around town.
Have you ever thought about earning money as a Lyft or Uber Driver?
You can join over a million people who are already earning a part-time or full-time income this way.
How Does Ridesharing Work?
Here is how "peer-to-peer ridesharing," as the concept is known works:
- You sign up with a ridesharing company, such as Uber or Lyft.
- You use your own car or rent a car specifically for ridesharing work.
- You select your schedule.
- A customer hails a ride using the ridesharing mobile app or website.
- The ride request appears on the mobile app.
- You choose the rides you want to take.
- You pick up the passenger and take them to their destination.
- After the ride, you rate the passenger. The passenger rates your service.
- The ridesharing company charges the fare to the passenger.
- The ridesharing company deposits your cut of the fare in your bank account a few days later.
No Taxi Medallion Required
Some cities use "taxi medallions" as permits for taxicab drivers to pick up passengers off the street. They can cost $100,000s.
Ridesharing drivers do not need to get a taxi medallion.
The downside is that you may not pick up anonymous passengers off the street. You may only pick up passengers who have hailed a ride via a ridesharing app or website.
Lawmakers Making It Difficult For Ridesharing Companies In Some States/Cities
In some states, like Texas and New York, lawmakers have or are trying to introduce more stringent regulation on things like worker classification, driver fingerprinting, vehicle inspection, insurance, fees, and limits on where drivers can pick up and drop off passengers.
Don't Have A Car?
If you don't have a car, you can rent one, from as little as $130 a week, with the help of one of these top 5 rideshare rental companies.
My Top 2 Driving Jobs
Here are my top two ridesharing companies you can sign up with to earn money driving people around town.
Uber and Lyft have both received billions of dollars in funding. They have millions of drivers doing millions of rides per month. Needless to say they are 100% legit.
Visit each website for more information:
- Interested in driving with Uber? You use your own car to give people rides and you can get paid immediately to a debit card with Instant Pay up to five times per day.
- Sign up, get approved, and then you just hop in your car, turn on the app, and you can begin receiving pickup requests from riders.
- To get to your rider's destination, you will have the option of using directions in the Uber Driver app or any navigation app of your choice.
- Once the trip is over, you can rate your rider and take the next request, or sign off and go about your day.
- It's flexible and works with your schedule.
- Earn when you want, chill when you want.
- Earn on your schedule and cash out with Instant Pay. Terms apply.
- You're eligible to receive tips from your riders, who can send you tips directly from the app.
- See the name and photo of riders you pick up.
- Get paid to a debit card up to 5x daily when you register for Instant Pay, along with chances for additional bonuses in your city.
- You'll also get 24/7 phone support if you have questions, in-person support, and much more.
- 5 step sign up:
Driver screening: After signing up, take a few minutes to start a screening online. It'll review your driving record and criminal history.
- Sign up.
- Background check consent.
- Driver's license approval.
- Background check approval.
- First trip.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Have at least one year of licensed driving experience in the U.S. (3 years if you are under 23 years old).
- Have a valid U.S. driver's license.
- Use an eligible 4-door vehicle.
- Before hitting the road, share the following documentation:
- A valid U.S. driver's license.
- Proof of vehicle insurance.
- Earn money driving people around town in all 50 US states.
- Drivers are paid for every trip on a per minute and mile basis.
- In select cities, Lyft offer guaranteed average hourly gross earnings and minimum weekly earnings.
- You keep 100% of tips.
- Earn a sign-on bonus of up to $1,000 (varies by city), after you complete a certain number or rides within 30 days of sign up.
- Earn Power Driver Bonus (available in certain regions).
- Earn more with Power Zones (limited).
- Earn a Streak Bonus when you are online and accept all required future ride requests when the streak bonus hour is live.
- Earn more with Prime Time and Guaranteed Prime Time during the busiest times.
- Earn up to a $10 bonus for referring new passengers (select cities).
- If a driver applies with your referral code, you can both earn a bonus (select cities).
- Earn more with Lyft Premier, Lyft Lux, and Lyft Lux SUV in 80+ US cities (if you qualify).
- Earnings are deposited into your bank account every Tuesday, or get instant cash out with Express Pay.
- 2-way driver and passenger ratings.
- 24/7 Trust & Safety team support.
- Insurance from Lyft, while on duty (except New York City with a TLC driver):
- Contingent auto liability insurance covers up to $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage, with no deductible, when the app is in driver mode, before you have received a ride request, in the event your personal insurance does not respond.
- Auto liability insurance covers up to $1 million per accident, from the time you accept a ride request until the ride has ended in the app.
- Contingent collision coverage covers physical damage to your vehicle resulting from an accident, regardless of who is at fault, as long as you have obtained collision coverage on your personal automobile policy, up to the actual cash value of your vehicle or cost of repair, whichever is less, minus a $2,500 deductible.
- Contingent comprehensive coverage covers physical damage to your vehicle resulting from a non-collision event (fire, vandalism, natural disaster, etc.), regardless of who is at fault, as long as you have obtained comprehensive coverage on your personal automobile policy, up to the actual cash value of your vehicle or cost of repair, whichever is less, minus a $2,500 deductible.
- Once you have accepted a ride or are transporting a passenger, in the event of an accident with a driver who is uninsured or underinsured and is ultimately at fault for bodily injury caused to you and/or your passengers, Lyft's UM/UIM coverage cover up to $1 million per accident, with no deductible.
- Lyft Accelerate:
- Silver (10+ rides every 3 months) rewards:
- Save $0.10 per gallon at participating Shell stations.
- Discounted Allstate Roadside Assistance.
- Free TurboTax Self-Employed and QuickBooks Self-Employed during tax season.
- Free Quickbooks Self Employed.
- Doctor on Demand discounts.
- eHealth Marketplace access.
- Honest Dollar financial planning service discounts.
- Gold (175-250+ rides every 3 months) rewards:
- All Silver rewards, plus...
- Save $0.25 per gallon at participating Shell stations.
- Get an Amp the first time you reach Gold or Platinum.
- Auto maintenance discounts.
- Car part discounts.
- Entertainment discounts (movie tickets, theme parks, and more)
- Fitness discounts.
- Platinum (400-600+ rides every 3 months) rewards:
- All Gold rewards, plus...
- Save $0.50 per gallon at participating Shell stations.
- Fitness discounts.
- Skip-the-line Support.
- Roadside Radar.
- Aged 21+
- Have a car
- Have a valid in-state driver's license, at least one year old
- Be a covered party on your car's in-state insurance
- Proof of insurance
- Have vehicle registration
- Current Android phone or iPhone
- Pass a free online DMV, national and county background checks
- Social security number
- Car requirements:
- 2000 or newer (2005 in some cities)
- 4 doors
- 5 seat belts
- You must be a covered party on the car's in-state insurance
- In-state license plate
- Pass a 19-point vehicle inspection
- No smoking policy
- Zero-tolerance drug and alcohol policy
- No weapons policy
- No taxis or stretch limousines
- Need a car? Lyft has partnered with Hertz and GM Maven to offer car rentals in select cities.
- Lyft Driver mobile app ratings:
- Android: 4.0 (12,700+ reviews / 1 million+ downloads)
- iOS: 3.6 (4,200+ ratings)
- Funding: $4.9 billion (http://c1ick.us/lyft-crb)
- Employees: 1,001+ (est. 2012) (http://c1ick.us/lyft-lkd)
- BBB accredited rating: A+ (http://c1ick.us/lyft-bbb)
- Minimum age: 21+
- Countries: USA
- Free to join: Yes