By Michael Wong | November 22, 2018.
2. NAUPA (National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators) (Visit naupa):
- NAUPA is the national association of the state unclaimed property programs.
- Search state-by-state on individual unclaimed property programs.
- The databases are located and maintained by each state, not NAUPA.
- Fraudulent unclaimed money letters:
- NAUPA are warning consumers to be on their guard against fraudulent letters arriving by mail and email, supposedly from NAUPA, alleging that they have found unclaimed money.
- These deceptive messages use fake NAUPA letterhead and request money be sent to claim the unclaimed money.
- Fraudsters also target potential victims over the phone with similar tactics.
- The state unclaimed money agencies themselves regularly contact rightful owners in an effort to reunite them with their lost property, but NAUPA does not notify owners of forgotten or missing money.
- Report suspicious unclaimed money email messages and websites to the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) at http://c1ick.us/ic3.